Situated on the banks of the Volga River 92 kilometers north of Moscow, legend says that the city was founded in 937 by Jan Pleskovich, though the first written reference to the town dates back to only 1148. In 1238 it was destroyed for the first time by the Mongols of the Golden Horde, after which it was rebuilt and destroyed several more times. The city is known for having been the location of the assassination of Tsarevich Dmitry, the only descent of Ivan the Terrible and thus the last heir of the Rurik dynasty. Boris Godunov, the Tsar’s favourite, was immediately accused of the killing, which triggered a bloody period in Russian history referred to as the “Time of Troubles,” rife with fratricide and terrible dynastic wars. Uglich is one of the cities of the Golden Ring and offers marvellous examples of traditional Russian architecture.
Visit to the Uglich Kremlin. The kremlin (“fortress” in Russian), situated on the banks of the Volga River, is the place where most of the city monuments are concentrated. Its walls were destroyed more than a century ago, but we can still see the moat that surrounded them. In the kremlin’s interior we will see the Prince’s Chambers, its oldest part, and the Transfiguration Cathedral, with its richly decorated interiors and belfry, as well as the Duma building and its most famous building, the Church of St. Demetrios on the Blood.
Visit to the Church of St. Demetrios on the Blood. It was built on the very place where, according to legend, Tsarevich Dmitry fell mortally wounded. The red-painted walls evoke the spilled blood, while inside the church we can admire the oldest icon of its iconostasis: the 17th century Virgin of Smolensk, a gift from the Romanovs.