Situated 175 kilometers northwest of Moscow on the present day road to St. Petersburg, Tver is sprawled across the banks of the Volga River. The city was founded in 1135 in an area of thick forests and swamps, protecting it from most of the Mongol raids. Tver grew rapidly, becoming one of the richest Russian cities and rivalling Moscow for supremacy, the latter not even hesitating to ally with the Mongol invaders to assassinate the prince of Tver and attack the city in 1326. After its threat to the pre-eminence of Moscow, the future Russian capital, was forcibly removed, Tver still enjoyed some importance, though its decline was obvious beginning at the end of the 15th century. When St. Petersburg was founded Tver revived as one of the main stops on the road between the new Russian capital and the old one and many neoclassical buildings were constructed at that time on top of existing buildings, particularly after a great fire destroyed most of the old town. In 1941 Tver was the focal point of heavy fighting between German and Soviet armies and the city was almost completely destroyed. Some of its buildings have been reconstructed and can be admired today.
Panoramic tour of Tver. The city still holds on to some traces of its past glory. The oldest building is White Trinity Church (1564), situated on the outskirts of the city. In its center, most of the old buildings surviving the destruction of World War II were built in the neoclassical style, as Catherine the Great ordered the city to be reconstructed in this style after a great fire, with the Transfiguration Cathedral the most notable among them. We will also admire the Travel Palace of Catherine the Great where she used to stay during her trips between Moscow and St. Petersburg. It was built in 1763 and later redesigned by Carlo Rossi, one of St. Petersburg’s greatest architects, in 1809. Other points of interest are the Drama Theatre and the Morozov Barracks.