Bogolyubovo

Situated on the outskirts of Vladimir, Bogolyubovo means “loved by God” in Russian. In 1158 Prince Bogolyubsky of Vladimir saw a vision of the Virgin Mary near the city of Vladimir at the mouth of the rivers Nerl and Klyazma. He immediately ordered the construction in that very place of the Church of the Intervention on the Nerl along with a small fortified city around it, the origin of the present village. Both were completed by 1165. We will be able to see the ruins of Prince Bogolyubsky’s castle with its Staircase Tower and Church of the Nativity of the Virgin, built in the 17th century. These monuments are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.

Visit to the Church of the Intercession on the Nerl. After a 20 minute walk through the beautiful landscapes around the village of Bogolyubovo, we will reach this medieval architectural masterpiece. It was erected in 1165 by Prince Bogolyubsky on a small hill surrounded by and reflected in the rivers where the Virgin Mary appeared to him. It is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.